Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Evolution of Human Consciousness

One of my favorite metaphors is this: I am standing on the beach at the water’s edge, gazing out at the horizon. Those born after me, the young ones, are standing further out, well into the water. They see a farther horizon than I can see. Those who were born before me: the sages of the past, are standing way behind me, up on the dune. They cannot see as far a horizon as I can see. I am speaking about the evolution of human consciousness. This metaphor allows me to understand that those born after me are more spiritually evolved than I was when I was born. If I am fortunate and blessed, I will take a few more steps out into the water during my lifetime, and see a slightly farther horizon. It also allows me to know that the commentators of the past, the revered sages in Judaism, could not see as far a horizon as I can see. That does not make their commentaries wrong, or mine right, it means that all of the commentaries can exist together, enriching our understanding of Torah and bringing it into the 21st Century.

No comments: